A HISTORY OF STRENGTH
Ingenuity and enterprise have been at the core of Lyman-Richey Corporation and our subsidiaries since the early 1880s. Imagine our founder Dwight G. Lyman, who used a team of horses and a scraper to carve sand out of the banks of the Kansas River and deliver it to Lawrence via wagon.
Through expansion and acquisitions, Lyman Sand Company grew across Nebraska and supplied materials to several surrounding states.
In 1918, Lyman Sand bought the Richey Sand Company from Charles A. Richey, creating the Lyman-Richey Sand & Gravel Company foundation we know today.
Rapid technological advancements over the years created new dredges, pumps, and steam-powered draglines. With each addition and upgrade, Lyman-Richey’s capabilities set the company apart, and its graded aggregate production was unmatched in the region.
The acquisition of the Ready Mixed Concrete Company in 1929 transformed our company, and we have grown into the dominant concrete supplier in the Omaha area.
In 1989 we nearly doubled our employee numbers after acquiring Gerhold Concrete Company, Inc., and Central Sand and Gravel Company.
Our expansion and innovation continue today. Our companies provide construction materials for projects in Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, and Colorado with stat-of-the-art production methods and delivery equipment.
Lyman-Richey acquired Shamrock Concrete Company, Siouxland Concrete Company and Standard Ready Mix in 2001 and Cohron Ready Mix in 2002, further growing our concrete business in the region.
The future is always unknown, but one thing is certain: We’ve come a long way since Mr. Lyman and his horses started everything more than 130 years ago.